Our next Triptych champions?
Pheno 2006 is proud to offer the following games and events. These are divided into several categories:
Each year Pheno is proud to encourage games writers who are new to writing for Cons to have a go.
We normally hold a competition for 'Best New Designer' but as we only have one new writer this year the result is a bit foregone. New designers are marked with the mysterious New Designer Star:
Pheno uses a rating system for games to help you choose games, and to help you anticipate what the GM is looking for in a game.
Games are rated from 1 (little or none) to 5 (really important) on the following:
- Characterisation — portraying the characters... 1 (play the numbers) to 5 (bring out the deep insights)
- Story/plot — telling a good story... 1 (A-Team) to 5 (Shakespeare)
- Genre — knowing the genre, staying in the genre... 1 (post-modernist parody) to 5 (Tolkienesque total immersion)
- Seriousness — romp (seriousness 1) to the big issues (seriousness 5)
- Rules knowledge — do players need to know the game system (5), or is this a good introduction to it (0 or 1)?
- Advisory rating — violence, horror, naughty bits. This can also be rated like a film: G, PG, M, MA, R.
Each year, Pheno invites three respected designers to present a systemless single session game as part of a triptych. Each game showcases what we consider the best of Pheno roleplaying: characterisation, drama, entertainment, innovation. Each game will be judged separately, but teams competing in all three games will also be eligible for the Triptych Perpetual Trophy.
- Quest: Mask of Heroes — by John Hughes
- Six Soldiers — by Jacinta Thomler
- Those left Behind — by David James
A smorgasbord of RPGA games brought to you by The RPGA Asia Pacific Branch. D20 and Dungeons & Dragons v3.5.
Organiser — Wes Nicholson, email wes <at> rpga.apac.com